Are you wondering how cosmetic dentistry can improve your smile?
According to a recent survey, 76% of Americans base their first impression of someone else on their smile, and three out of every five people hate how their smile looks in a photograph.
It’s not uncommon to want to fix something about your smile. Here are 3 things about your smile that cosmetic dentistry can fix.
1. Discolored Teeth
This is the #1 reason that people seek help from a cosmetic dentist. Your teeth can become stained from food and drinks (like coffee or tea), smoking, or certain medications.
These stains won’t come off with just brushing and flossing, no matter how diligent you are with your dental care habits. Discolored teeth can make your smile look unhealthy or unattractive.
A cosmetic dentist can restore your pearly whites and have your smile looking bright, healthy, and attractive once again.
2. Irregularly Shaped Teeth
You might have irregularly shaped teeth if you grind your teeth (bruxism) or if you have small chips in your teeth. These imperfections can make your smile less attractive, but cosmetic dentistry can help fix your smile.
Depending on what is causing your irregular smile, a cosmetic dentist may use veneers, bonding, or recontouring to help reshape your smile.
- Porcelain Veneers: These are affixed to the surface of your tooth, and your cosmetic dentist can use them to reshape the appearance of your tooth, cover bad discolorations that are resistant to whitening, or cover small chips or gaps.
- Cosmetic Bonding: Your cosmetic dentist can also add tooth-colored material to the surface of your teeth to reshape them. Your dentist can usually do this in one visit, so it’s a convenient option.
- Recontouring: For some types of irregularities, your cosmetic dentist might opt to ‘shave off’ some enamel to change minor variations in shape.
3. Cracked or Broken Teeth
Another common reason people turn to cosmetic dentistry is if they have cracked or broken teeth. This problem is not only important to fix for your appearance, but for your overall health, as well.
Luckily, there are several options your cosmetic dentist can use to fix this problem:
- Cosmetic Bonding: This can be used for minor cracks. Your cosmetic dentist simply fills the impacted area with bonding material.
- Dental Crowns: If the break is major, your dentist might choose to use a dental crown to fix it. Your dentist places a crown over your healthy tooth structure to protect and secure it. If the interior of the tooth is also damaged, you might need a root canal as well as a crown.
- Dental Implants: If the tooth cannot be repaired, your cosmetic dentist might extract it and replace it with a dental implant. This is the #1 recommended option for a missing tooth because implants function like a natural tooth, and you care for them in the same way too.
Call Us Today!
If you don’t like your smile and want it fixed, just give the office of Dr. Benjamin Duval a call today! We’ll be happy to help restore your beautiful smile!